Generic Name and Formulations:
Ifosfamide 1g, 3g; per vial; pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution.
Indications for IFEX:
Third-line adjunctive treatment of germ cell testicular cancer.
Give by slow IV infusion over at least 30 mins. 1.2g/m2 per day for 5 consecutive days; repeat every 3 weeks or after hematological recovery (platelets ≥100000/µL, WBC ≥4000/µL).
Urinary outflow obstruction.
Myelosuppression. Neurotoxicity. Urotoxicity.
Risk of myelosuppression, immunosuppression, and infections. Do hematologic profile before each dose; discontinue if WBCs <2000/µL or platelets <50000/µL. Risk of CNS toxicity and other neurotoxic effects. Discontinue if encephalopathy develops. Do urinalysis before each dose, postpone dose if hematuria occurs. Give mesna and at least 2L fluids daily. Active urinary tract infections. Impaired hepatic, renal, or hematopoetic function. Preexisting cardiac disease. May interfere with wound healing. Prior radiation therapy or other cytotoxic agents. Ensure adequate hydration. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of myelosuppression with other chemotherapy agents. Caution with drugs acting on the CNS (eg, antiemetics, sedatives, narcotics, antihistamines).
Alopecia, nausea, vomiting, leukopenia, anemia, CNS toxicity, hematuria, infection, renal or liver dysfunction, phlebitis, fever, urotoxicity (eg, hemorrhagic cystitis), thrombocytopenia, pulmonary toxicity, secondary malignancies.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age