Generic Name and Formulations:
Ifosfamide 1g, 3g; per vial; pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution.
Indications for IFEX:
Third-line adjunctive treatment of germ cell testicular cancer.
Give by slow IV infusion over at least 30 mins. 1.2g/m2 per day for 5 consecutive days; repeat every 3 weeks or after hematological recovery (platelets ≥100000/µL, WBC ≥4000/µL).
Urinary outflow obstruction.
Risk of myelosuppression, immunosuppression, and infections. Do hematologic profile before each dose; discontinue if WBCs <2000/µL or platelets <50000/µL. Risk of CNS toxicity and other neurotoxic effects. Discontinue if encephalopathy develops. Do urinalysis before each dose, postpone dose if hematuria occurs. Give mesna and at least 2L fluids daily. Active urinary tract infections. Impaired hepatic, renal, or hematopoetic function. Preexisting cardiac disease. May interfere with wound healing. Prior radiation therapy or other cytotoxic agents. Ensure adequate hydration. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of myelosuppression with other chemotherapy agents. Caution with drugs acting on the CNS (eg, antiemetics, sedatives, narcotics, antihistamines).
Alopecia, nausea, vomiting, leukopenia, anemia, CNS toxicity, hematuria, infection, renal or liver dysfunction, phlebitis, fever, urotoxicity (eg, hemorrhagic cystitis), thrombocytopenia, pulmonary toxicity, secondary malignancies.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling
- Nightmares in Military Personnel Frequently Comorbid With Mental Health Disorders
- Potential for SERMs as Adjunctive Therapy for Schizophrenia
- Addressing Racial Disparities in Bipolar Disorder Treatment
- Negative Symptoms Increase Cardiovascular Risk in Schizophrenia