Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydrocodone bitartrate, ibuprofen; 5mg/200mg, 10mg/200mg; tabs.
Indications for IBUDONE:
Short term (generally <10 days) management of acute pain.
Individualize; use lowest effective dose for shortest time. ≥16yrs: 1 tab every 4–6 hours as needed; max 5 tabs/day.
<16yrs: not recommended.
Aspirin allergy. Coronary artery bypass graft surgery. 3rd trimester pregnancy.
Advanced renal disease: not recommended. Head injury. Increased intracranial pressure. Acute abdomen. Peptic ulcer. History of upper GI disease. Impaired renal, hepatic, thyroid, pulmonary, or adrenocortical function. GI or GU obstruction. Asthma. Edema. Hypertension. Heart failure. Bleeding disorders. Monitor BP, blood, and hepatic and renal function. Dehydration. Post-op (may suppress cough reflex). Drug abusers. Discontinue if hepatic dysfunction occurs. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Labor & delivery, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Opioid + NSAID.
See Contraindications. Avoid aspirin. Alcohol, other CNS depressants potentiated. May potentiate, or be potentiated by, MAOIs (not recommended) or tricyclic antidepressants, skeletal muscle relaxants. Increases serum lithium levels. May reduce efficacy of, and increase risk of renal failure with, ACEIs, diuretics. May increase bleeding with anticoagulants. Paralytic ileus may occur with anticholinergics. May increase lithium, methotrexate toxicity. Corticosteroids increase risk of GI bleed.
Headache, CNS depression, dizziness, GI upset/bleed, constipation, rash (discontinue if occurs), respiratory depression, anemia, mood changes, confusion, anaphylaxis; aseptic meningitis (rare); others. See literature re: risk of cardiovascular events.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age