Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydrocodone bitartrate, ibuprofen; 5mg/200mg, 10mg/200mg; tabs.
Indications for IBUDONE:
Short term (generally <10 days) management of acute pain.
Individualize; use lowest effective dose for shortest time. ≥16yrs: 1 tab every 4–6 hours as needed; max 5 tabs/day.
<16yrs: not recommended.
Aspirin allergy. Coronary artery bypass graft surgery. 3rd trimester pregnancy.
Advanced renal disease: not recommended. Head injury. Increased intracranial pressure. Acute abdomen. Peptic ulcer. History of upper GI disease. Impaired renal, hepatic, thyroid, pulmonary, or adrenocortical function. GI or GU obstruction. Asthma. Edema. Hypertension. Heart failure. Bleeding disorders. Monitor BP, blood, and hepatic and renal function. Dehydration. Post-op (may suppress cough reflex). Drug abusers. Discontinue if hepatic dysfunction occurs. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Labor & delivery, nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Avoid aspirin. Alcohol, other CNS depressants potentiated. May potentiate, or be potentiated by, MAOIs (not recommended) or tricyclic antidepressants, skeletal muscle relaxants. Increases serum lithium levels. May reduce efficacy of, and increase risk of renal failure with, ACEIs, diuretics. May increase bleeding with anticoagulants. Paralytic ileus may occur with anticholinergics. May increase lithium, methotrexate toxicity. Corticosteroids increase risk of GI bleed.
Opioid + NSAID.
Headache, CNS depression, dizziness, GI upset/bleed, constipation, rash (discontinue if occurs), respiratory depression, anemia, mood changes, confusion, anaphylaxis; aseptic meningitis (rare); others. See literature re: risk of cardiovascular events.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder