Generic Name and Formulations:
Losartan potassium, hydrochlorothiazide; 50mg/12.5mg, 100mg/12.5mg, 100mg/25mg; tabs.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for HYZAAR:
Hypertension (not for initial therapy unless HTN is severe). To reduce stroke in hypertensive patients with left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH); this benefit may not apply to black patients.
Initially 50/12.5mg once daily (100/12.5mg if BP not controlled on losartan 100mg alone); may increase after 3 weeks as needed to max 100/25mg daily. HTN with LVH (BP not controlled on losartan alone): initially 50/12.5mg once daily; increase as needed to 100/12.5mg, then to max 100/25mg daily.
Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy. Concomitant aliskiren in patients with diabetes.
Fetal toxicity may develop; discontinue if pregnancy is detected. Correct salt/volume depletion before starting therapy, or reduce initial dose. Hepatic impairment: initial therapy not recommended. Severe renal impairment (CrCl<30mL/min): not established. Severe CHF. Renal artery stenosis. Asthma. SLE. Gout. Diabetes. Postsympathectomy. Acute myopia. Secondary angle-closure glaucoma. Monitor BP, electrolytes, calcium, renal function periodically. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB) + thiazide diuretic.
See Contraindications. Hyperkalemia with K+ supplements, K+ sparing diuretics, K+ containing salt substitutes. Dual inhibition of the renin-angiotensin system with ARBs, ACEIs, or aliskiren may increase risk of hypotension, hyperkalemia, renal function changes; monitor closely. Avoid concomitant aliskiren in renal impairment (CrCl <60mL/min). May be antagonized by, and renal toxicity potentiated by NSAIDs, including selective COX-2 inhibitors (monitor renal function periodically in elderly and/or volume-depleted). May increase lithium toxicity (monitor). Orthostatic hypotension with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Adjust antihyperglycemics. Hypokalemia with corticosteroids, ACTH. Potentiates other antihypertensives, skeletal muscle relaxants. Concomitant cholestyramine, colestipol; administer at least 4hrs before or 4–6hrs after resin administration.
Dizziness, upper respiratory infection, cough, back pain; hypersensitivity reactions, renal impairment, electrolyte abnormalities.
Hepatic (CYP2C9, 3A4).
Tabs—30, 90, 1000
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children