Hydroxyzine HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydroxyzine HCl 10mg, 25mg, 50mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Hydroxyzine HCl:
25 mg 3–4 times daily.
<6yrs: 50mg daily. ≥6yrs: 50–100mg daily. Both in divided doses.
Early pregnancy. Allergy to cetirizine or levocetirizine.
Elderly. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants (eg, narcotics, non-narcotic analgesics, barbiturates); reduce dose of these agents.
Drowsiness, dry mouth, tremor, convulsions.
Formerly known under the brand name Atarax.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders