Hydroxyzine HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydroxyzine HCl 10mg, 25mg, 50mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Hydroxyzine HCl:
25 mg 3–4 times daily.
<6yrs: 50mg daily. ≥6yrs: 50–100mg daily. Both in divided doses.
Early pregnancy. Allergy to cetirizine or levocetirizine.
Elderly. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants (eg, narcotics, non-narcotic analgesics, barbiturates); reduce dose of these agents.
Drowsiness, dry mouth, tremor, convulsions.
Formerly known under the brand name Atarax.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age