Generic Name and Formulations:
Altretamine 50mg; caps.
Indications for HEXALEN:
Palliative treatment of persistent or recurrent ovarian cancer following first-line therapy with a cisplatin and/or alkylating agent-based combination.
260mg/m2 daily in four divided doses (after meals and at bedtime), for either 14 or 21 consecutive days in a 28-day cycle. Discontinue for >14 days if GI intolerance is unresponsive to treatment, WBC count <2000/mm3 or granulocyte count <1000/mm3, platelet count <75000/mm3, or progressive neurotoxicity occurs. Restart at 200mg/m2 daily. Discontinue indefinitely if neurologic symptoms fail to stabilize.
Severe myelosuppression or neurologic toxicity, except cisplatin-related neuropathy.
Monitor for myelosuppression (do monthly CBCs) and neurotoxicity. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid pyridoxine. Severe orthostatic hypotension with MAOIs.
Nausea, vomiting, peripheral neuropathy, CNS symptoms (eg, mood disorders, ataxia, dizziness), myelosuppression, renal dysfunction, increased alkaline phosphatase.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders