HELIXATE FS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Antihemophilic Factor VIII (recombinant) 250 IU, 500 IU, 1000 IU; per bottle; dried concentrate for IV infusion after reconstitution; contains sucrose; preservative-free.
CSL Behring, LLC
Indications for HELIXATE FS:
Prevention and control of hemorrhagic episodes or in order to perform emergency or elective surgery in Hemophilia A patients.
Adults and Children:
Dosage Required (IU) = Body Weight (kg) × Desired % Factor VIII Increase × 0.5. Individualize. Infuse over 5–10minutes if tolerated. Minor hemorrhage: 10–20 IU/kg; may repeat dose if needed. Moderate/major hemorrhage or minor surgery: 15–30 IU/kg; may repeat 1 dose at 12–24hrs if needed. Major/life-threatening hemorrhage, fractures or head trauma: initially 40–50 IU/kg, then 20–25 IU/kg every 8–12hrs. Major surgery: pre-op dose: 50 IU/kg (verify ~100% activity prior to surgery); may repeat after 6–12hrs initially, and for 10–14 days until completely healed.
Mouse or hamster protein sensitivity.
Not for treating von Willebrand's disease. Confirm Factor VIII deficiency prior to treatment. Monitor for development of Factor VIII inhibitors. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Inj site reactions, dizziness, rash, dysgeusia, increased BP, pruritus, depersonalization, GI upset, rhinitis; antibody formation, hypersensitivity reactions.
Single-use bottle—1 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling