Generic Name and Formulations:
Hepatitis A vaccine, inactivated 720 ELISA Units (EL.U.) per 0.5mL (pediatric), or 1440 EL.U. per 1mL (adult); susp for IM inj; aluminum adsorbed; contains neomycin (trace); preservative-free.
Indications for HAVRIX:
Hepatitis A immunization.
Inject into deltoid, preferably at least 2 weeks before expected exposure. >18yrs: 1440 EL.U. once IM; give booster dose 6–12 months after initial course.
Inject IM preferably at least 2 weeks before expected exposure. <12months: not recommended. 12months–18yrs: 720 EL.U. once IM; give booster dose 6–12months after initial course.
Neomycin allergy. Previous hypersensitivity reaction to hepatitis A-containing vaccine.
Have epinephrine (1:1000) inj available. Fever. Bleeding disorders. Immunodeficiency (may have suboptimal response). If given with immune globulin, use separate syringe and different site. Latex allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Immunosuppressives may reduce efficacy. Concomitant vaccines: see literature.
Inj site reactions, headache, fatigue, fever, malaise, anorexia, GI upset.
Single-dose vials—10; Single-dose prefilled Tip-Lok syringes—5 (without needles)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders