Generic Name and Formulations:
Nicotine 7mg/24hr, 14mg/24hr, 21mg/24hr; transdermal patch.
Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for HABITROL:
Adjunct in smoking cessation therapy.
≥18yrs: Apply to clean, dry, nonhairy site on trunk or upper outer arm; rotate application site. Remove patch after 24 hours; if vivid dreams or other sleep disturbances occur, remove at bedtime and reapply in AM. >10cigarettes/day: initially one 21mg patch daily for 4 weeks; then one 14mg patch daily for 2 weeks, then one 7mg patch daily for 2 weeks, then stop. ≤10cigarettes/day: initially one 14mg patch daily for 6 weeks then one 7mg patch daily for 2 weeks, then stop. Max 1 patch/24hrs. Do not cut patch.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Concurrent smoking or use of other nicotine products.
Discontinue if irregular heartbeat, palpitations, allergic reaction, or symptoms of nicotine overdose occur. Heart disease. Post-MI. Arrhythmias. Hypertension. Depression. Asthma. Allergy to adhesive tape, other skin problems. Stomach ulcers. Diabetes. History of seizures. Low doses may be toxic to children and pets; discard properly. Pregnancy: not recommended. Nursing mothers.
Remove patch prior to MRI procedures. Smoking cessation potentiates theophylline, insulin, β-blockers, pentazocine, oxazepam, tricyclic antidepressants (eg, imipramine), caffeine, acetaminophen, adrenergic antagonists (eg, prazosin, labetalol), others. Smoking cessation antagonizes adrenergic agonists (eg, isoproterenol, phenylephrine), others.
Local irritation, GI upset, headache, dizziness, palpitations, hypertension.
Patch 7mg, 14mg—7, 14; 21mg—7, 14, 28
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Buprenorphine, Methadone Combined With CNS Depressants May Lead to SAEs
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in HIV-Associated Depression
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress