Granisetron HCl Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Granisetron (as HCl) 1mg/mL (contains benzyl alcohol); 0.1mg/mL (preservative-free); IV inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Granisetron HCl Injection:
Prevention of nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy (including high-dose cisplatin). Prevention and treatment of post-op nausea and vomiting.
Adults and Children:
Chemotherapy: give as an undiluted IV injection over 30 seconds or as a diluted IV infusion over 5 minutes. <2 years: not recommended; ≥2 years: 10micrograms/kg starting within 30 minutes of initiating chemotherapy, only on the days chemotherapy is given. Post-op (adults): infuse 1mg undiluted IV over 30 seconds. For prevention, give before induction of anesthesia or immediately before reversal of anesthesia. Post-op (children): not recommended.
Abdominal surgery. May mask progressive ileus and/or gastric distention. Pre-existing arrhythmias or cardiac conduction disorders. Cardiac disease, concomitant cardio-toxic chemotherapy or electrolyte abnormalities: increased risk of QT prolongation. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Caution with drugs that affect CYP450 or prolong the QT interval.
Selective 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.
Headache, asthenia, diarrhea, constipation; QT prolongation.
Formerly known under the brand name Kytril.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?