Granisetron HCl Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Granisetron (as HCl) 1mg/mL (contains benzyl alcohol); 0.1mg/mL (preservative-free); IV inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Granisetron HCl Injection:
Prevention of nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy (including high-dose cisplatin). Prevention and treatment of post-op nausea and vomiting.
Adults and Children:
Chemotherapy: give as an undiluted IV injection over 30 seconds or as a diluted IV infusion over 5 minutes. <2 years: not recommended; ≥2 years: 10micrograms/kg starting within 30 minutes of initiating chemotherapy, only on the days chemotherapy is given. Post-op (adults): infuse 1mg undiluted IV over 30 seconds. For prevention, give before induction of anesthesia or immediately before reversal of anesthesia. Post-op (children): not recommended.
Abdominal surgery. May mask progressive ileus and/or gastric distention. Pre-existing arrhythmias or cardiac conduction disorders. Cardiac disease, concomitant cardio-toxic chemotherapy or electrolyte abnormalities: increased risk of QT prolongation. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Selective 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.
Caution with drugs that affect CYP450 or prolong the QT interval.
Headache, asthenia, diarrhea, constipation; QT prolongation.
Formerly known under the brand name Kytril.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children