Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitroglycerin 400mcg; per pkt; sublingual powder.
Indications for GONITRO:
Acute relief of angina attack. Acute prophylaxis of angina pectoris.
Treatment: 1 or 2 packets (400mcg/packet) sublingually at onset, may give 1 additional packet every 5 mins as needed; max 3 packets in 15 mins. Prophylaxis: 5–10 mins before activity.
Concomitant PDE-5 inhibitors (eg, avanafil, sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil), soluble guanylate cyclase stimulators (eg, riociguat). Severe anemia. Increased intracranial pressure. Acute circulatory failure or shock.
Hypotensive (constrictive pericarditis, aortic or mitral stenosis) or volume depleted. Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. Use lowest effective dose. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Hypotension potentiated by PDE-5 inhibitors, riociguat, antihypertensives, beta-adrenergic blockers, calcium channel blockers. Potentiated by high-dose aspirin. May antagonize tissue-type plasminogen activators (t-PA). Avoid ergotamine and related drugs; monitor if unavoidable.
Headache, dizziness, paresthesia, hypotension.
Pwd pkts—12, 36, 96
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed