In 2016, an estimated 5.4 million US adults have Alzheimer disease.
The extent or severity of physical ailments and functional impairment needs to be carefully examined in order to successfully prevent suicide in late life.
Dementia risk was particularly elevated in patients with depression who had higher scores on cognitive tests at baseline.
To date, there are no validated biomarkers to independently assess Parkinson Disease diagnosis and prognosis, or to measure disease severity.
Interventions are needed to enhance adherence to prescribed medications, especially in older adults experiencing new episodes of depression.
Today, most people in the developed world are in hospitals at the end of their lives.
The intake of dietary fiber among people living in the United States remains low, according to the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES).
Modifiable risk factors (eg, smoking, hypertension, sedentary behavior, overweight/obesity, and social engagement) contribute to nearly half of documented dementia cases.
Aerobic physical exercise produces numerous health benefits in the brain and may help you live longer.
No significant effect was found for preventing or treating delirium during hospitalization with antipsychotic medications.
Nonpharmacologic management with multidisciplinary teams warranted due to lack of effective pharmacologic options.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Childhood-Onset Bipolar Disorder Associated With Impaired Family Functioning
- Valproate Use in Women Who Could Become Pregnant: The Argument for Informed Consent
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Ketamine-Induced Dissociative Symptoms Predict Antidepressant Response
- Review Examines the Effectiveness of Antidepressants for Insomnia
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Consensus Statement: Managing Bipolar Disorder During and After Pregnancy
- Verbal Memory Linked to Temporal Lobe Thickness in First-Degree Relatives of Those With Schizophrenia
- Associations Between Maternal Depression, Support, and Cognitive Development in Offspring
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Effects of the 2 Types of Anorexia Nervosa on Bone Metabolism