Embracing all the myriad variations of the human genome should, in theory, lead to rewards that all can share.
Interaction of Proline and COMT Genotype Influences Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia & Bipolar DisorderSeptember 27, 2016
The authors explored whether valproate (VPA) treatment effects vary by catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) genotype.
It is hypothesized that multiple single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) work together to influence risk of complex neuropsychiatric disorders such as depression.
Genetic variation can increase the predisposition to major depressive disorder.
Genetic factors and the environment patients share with their partner or spouse may determine their risk of developing chronic pain and help explain the association between chronic pain and depression.
Compared with men, women diagnosed with AUD have higher rates of premature death due to alcohol abuse.
Investigators used decomposition methods to examine the relative importance of genetic and environmental components to the burden of ADHD.
Early life trauma interacts with FKBP5 genotype to predict heavy alcohol consumption in college students.
Appropriate study planning from the outset is one step that can help improve interpretability.
To date, there are no validated biomarkers to independently assess Parkinson Disease diagnosis and prognosis, or to measure disease severity.
Preventing Transgenerational Effects of Paternal Trauma
Approximately 30% of users exhibit signs of marijuana abuse or dependence.
Extreme trauma affects FKBP5 methylation in survivors of the Holocaust as well as in their offspring.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice