These findings suggest an urgent need for improved measures of social and clinical support in transgender and/or gender-nonconforming youth.
In a limited systematic review, hormonal therapy with gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogs (GnRHas) produced some suppression of secondary sexual function, with more success in promoting anticipated masculinization or feminization with the use of testosterone or estrogen, respectively.
Transgender and/or gender nonconforming children and adolescents had higher prevalence of mental health disorders compared to their cisgender peers.
Youth with gender nonconformity are vulnerable to experiencing adversity.
Endocrinologists reported having low confidence in their knowledge about caring for transgender patients.
This study highlights the need for policies and programs to reduce stigmatization and victimization of this population.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Psychopathology of Adults Affected by Pre- and Perinatal Factors, Family Functioning
- Family History of Psychiatric Disorders an Important Predictor of Postpartum Psychiatric Illness
- Anxiety: Feature of Late-Onset Dementia or Modifiable Risk Factor?
- New APA President Takes Office as the First African-American to Lead the Organization
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- New Dimensions in Psychopathy: Are There Cultural Differences in Psychopaths?
- Addressing Psychiatric Comorbidities in Inflammatory Rheumatic Diseases
- Exploring the Link Between Persistent Infection, Inflammation, and Mood Disorders
- CDC: No Change in Level of Uninsured in US in 2017
- Benefit of Behavioral Activation During TMS for Major Depressive Disorder