Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxybutynin chloride 10% (1g/sachet); topical gel; contains alcohol.
Indications for GELNIQUE:
Overactive bladder (OAB) with urge urinary incontinence, urgency, and frequency.
Apply 1g gel (one sachet) once daily to dry, intact skin on abdomen, upper arm/shoulders, or thighs. Rotate application sites; avoid use of same site on consecutive days. Wash hands after application. Avoid washing area/showering for 1hr after application.
Urinary or gastric retention. Uncontrolled narrow angle glaucoma.
Bladder outflow obstruction. GI obstruction. Decreased GI motility. Ulcerative colitis. Intestinal antony. Gastroesophageal reflux. Esophagitis. Controlled narrow angle glaucoma. Discontinue if skin hypersensitivity or angioedema develops. Monitor for anticholinergic CNS effects; consider discontinuing if occur. Avoid in myasthenia gravis; discontinue if symptoms occur. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Minimize skin transference: cover application site with clothing if direct contact is anticipated. Exposure to high environmental temperatures. Gel is flammable. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Caution with drugs that can cause or exacerbate esophagitis (eg, bisphosphonates). Additive effects with other anticholinergics.
Dry mouth, application site reactions (eg, pruritus, dermatitis, papules, erythema), urinary tract infection, dizziness, nasopharyngitis, fatigue, headache, constipation, other anticholinergic effects (eg, CNS).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children