Generic Name and Formulations:
Cromolyn sodium 100mg/5mL; oral concentrate; preservative-free.
Indications for GASTROCROM:
Mix contents of amp in water and drink. ≥13yrs: 200mg 4 times daily, at regular intervals, ½ hour before meals and at bedtime; may increase if insufficient response within 2–3 weeks. Max 40mg/kg per day; maintain at lowest effective dose.
Mix contents of amp in water and drink. <2yrs: usually not recommended; see literature. 2–12yrs: 100mg 4 times daily, at regular intervals, ½ hour before meals and at bedtime; may increase if insufficient response within 2–3 weeks. Max 40mg/kg per day; maintain at lowest effective dose.
Renal or hepatic dysfunction, reduce dose. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Mast cell stabilizer.
Headache, GI upset, pruritus, myalgia, rash, irritability, malaise.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders