Generic Name and Formulations:
Zinc acetate 25mg, 50mg; gelatin caps; contains parabens.
Indications for GALZIN:
Maintenance treatment of Wilsons disease in patients initially treated with a chelating agent.
Swallow whole. Take on empty stomach. 50mg three times daily. Pregnant women: 25mg three times daily; may increase to 50mg three times daily.
<10yrs: not recommended. ≥10yrs: 25mg three times daily; may increase to 50mg three times daily.
Monitor 24-hour urinary zinc, urine and plasma copper levels, LFTs, bilirubin, aminotransferases. Perform neuropsychiatric evaluations (eg, speech). Pregnancy (Cat.A). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
GI upset, elevated serum alkaline phosphatase, amylase, and lipase.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses