Generic Name and Formulations:
Zinc acetate 25mg, 50mg; gelatin caps; contains parabens.
Indications for GALZIN:
Maintenance treatment of Wilsons disease in patients initially treated with a chelating agent.
Swallow whole. Take on empty stomach. 50mg three times daily. Pregnant women: 25mg three times daily; may increase to 50mg three times daily.
<10yrs: not recommended. ≥10yrs: 25mg three times daily; may increase to 50mg three times daily.
Monitor 24-hour urinary zinc, urine and plasma copper levels, LFTs, bilirubin, aminotransferases. Perform neuropsychiatric evaluations (eg, speech). Pregnancy (Cat.A). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
GI upset, elevated serum alkaline phosphatase, amylase, and lipase.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder