Generic Name and Formulations:
Tiagabine HCl 2mg, 4mg, 12mg, 16mg; tabs.
Indications for GABITRIL:
Adjunct in partial seizures.
Take with food. Use lower doses and titrate slower if not on concomitant enzyme-inducing drug(s). 12–18yrs: 4mg once daily for 1 week; may increase to 8mg/day in 2 divided doses for 1 week; then may increase by 4–8mg weekly to clinical response or up to 32mg/day in 2–4 divided doses. ≥18yrs: 4mg once daily for 1 week; may increase by 4–8mg weekly to clinical response or up to 56mg/day in 2–4 divided doses.
Hepatic impairment: reduce dose. Reduce dose or discontinue if generalized weakness occurs. Adjust dose if spike and wave discharges on EEG with cognitive or neuropsychiatric events occur. Discontinue and evaluate if seizures develop in nonepileptic patients during therapy. Suicidal tendencies (monitor). Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
CNS depression may be potentiated by alcohol, triazolam, other CNS depressants. Tiagabine levels reduced by enzyme inducers (eg, phenytoin, carbamazepine, primidone, phenobarbital), St. John's wort. May interact with valproate (monitor). May affect or be affected by highly protein bound drugs.
GABA reuptake inhibitor.
Dizziness, asthenia, somnolence, fatigue, GI upset/pain, nervousness, tremor, abdominal pain, concentration difficulties, dysphasia, confusion, other CNS effects, serious rash; possible long-term ophthalmologic effects.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?