Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitrofurantoin 25mg/5mL; susp.
Indications for FURADANTIN:
Take with food. 50–100mg 4 times daily. Suppressive therapy: 50–100mg once daily at bedtime may suffice.
Take with food. <1month: contraindicated. ≥1month: 5–7mg/kg per day in 4 divided doses. Suppressive therapy: 1mg/kg per day in 1–2 divided doses may suffice.
Renal impairment (CrCl <60mL/min or significantly elevated serum creatinine), anuria, oliguria. Neonates. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy at term. History of cholestatic jaundice or hepatic dysfunction.
Not for treating pyelonephritis or perinephric abscesses. Discontinue if pulmonary or hepatic disorders, hemolysis, or peripheral neuropathy occurs. Renal insufficiency. G6PD or Vit. B deficiency. Anemia. Diabetes. Electrolyte imbalance. Debilitated. Monitor renal and pulmonary function in long-term use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid magnesium trisilicate. Antagonized by, and increased toxicity with uricosurics (eg, probenecid). May cause false (+) glucose test with Benedict's or Fehling's solution.
Nausea, emesis, anorexia, dizziness, headache, pulmonary or hematological disorders (esp. in long-term use), peripheral neuropathy, allergic reactions, C. difficile-associated diarrhea; rare: hepatic dysfunction, exfoliative dermatitis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, optic neuritis, methemoglobinemia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition