Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitrofurantoin 25mg/5mL; susp.
Indications for FURADANTIN:
Take with food. 50–100mg 4 times daily. Suppressive therapy: 50–100mg once daily at bedtime may suffice.
Take with food. <1month: contraindicated. ≥1month: 5–7mg/kg per day in 4 divided doses. Suppressive therapy: 1mg/kg per day in 1–2 divided doses may suffice.
Renal impairment (CrCl <60mL/min or significantly elevated serum creatinine), anuria, oliguria. Neonates. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy at term. History of cholestatic jaundice or hepatic dysfunction.
Not for treating pyelonephritis or perinephric abscesses. Discontinue if pulmonary or hepatic disorders, hemolysis, or peripheral neuropathy occurs. Renal insufficiency. G6PD or Vit. B deficiency. Anemia. Diabetes. Electrolyte imbalance. Debilitated. Monitor renal and pulmonary function in long-term use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid magnesium trisilicate. Antagonized by, and increased toxicity with uricosurics (eg, probenecid). May cause false (+) glucose test with Benedict's or Fehling's solution.
Nausea, emesis, anorexia, dizziness, headache, pulmonary or hematological disorders (esp. in long-term use), peripheral neuropathy, allergic reactions, C. difficile-associated diarrhea; rare: hepatic dysfunction, exfoliative dermatitis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, optic neuritis, methemoglobinemia.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder