Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitrofurantoin 25mg/5mL; susp.
Indications for FURADANTIN:
Take with food. 50–100mg 4 times daily. Suppressive therapy: 50–100mg once daily at bedtime may suffice.
Take with food. <1month: contraindicated. ≥1month: 5–7mg/kg per day in 4 divided doses. Suppressive therapy: 1mg/kg per day in 1–2 divided doses may suffice.
Renal impairment (CrCl <60mL/min or significantly elevated serum creatinine), anuria, oliguria. Neonates. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy at term. History of cholestatic jaundice or hepatic dysfunction.
Not for treating pyelonephritis or perinephric abscesses. Discontinue if pulmonary or hepatic disorders, hemolysis, or peripheral neuropathy occurs. Renal insufficiency. G6PD or Vit. B deficiency. Anemia. Diabetes. Electrolyte imbalance. Debilitated. Monitor renal and pulmonary function in long-term use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid magnesium trisilicate. Antagonized by, and increased toxicity with uricosurics (eg, probenecid). May cause false (+) glucose test with Benedict's or Fehling's solution.
Nausea, emesis, anorexia, dizziness, headache, pulmonary or hematological disorders (esp. in long-term use), peripheral neuropathy, allergic reactions, C. difficile-associated diarrhea; rare: hepatic dysfunction, exfoliative dermatitis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, optic neuritis, methemoglobinemia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses