Generic Name and Formulations:
Frovatriptan (as succinate) 2.5mg; tabs.
Indications for FROVA:
Acute treatment of migraine.
≥18yrs: 2.5mg with fluids; may repeat once after 2 hours; max 7.5mg/24 hours. Reevaluate if no response after 1st dose. The safety of treating an average of more than 4 headaches in a 30-day period has not been established.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Ischemic cardiac, cerebro- or peripheral vascular disease (eg, history of MI, angina pectoris, silent myocardial ischemia, stroke, TIA, ischemic bowel disease). Uncontrolled hypertension. Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome or arrhythmias associated with other cardiac conduction pathway disorders. Basilar or hemiplegic migraine. Within 24 hours of other 5-HT1 agonists or ergot-type drugs.
Confirm diagnosis. Exclude underlying cardiovascular disease, supervise 1st dose, consider monitoring ECG in patients with likelihood of unrecognized coronary disease (eg, postmenopausal women, men over age 40, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, obesity, diabetes, smokers, strong family history). Monitor cardiovascular function in long-term intermittent use. Peripheral vascular or colonic ischemia after other 5-HT1 agonists. Severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Selective 5-HT1B/1D receptor agonist.
Methysergide, other ergotamines, or other 5-HT1 agonists: see Contraindications. Serotonin syndrome with SSRIs (eg, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, paroxetine, sertraline).
Dizziness, paresthesia, dry mouth, fatigue, flushing, hot or cold sensation, dyspepsia, skeletal pain, chest/throat/neck symptoms (pain, pressure, tightness); serious cardiac events (rare).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses