Generic Name and Formulations:
Frovatriptan (as succinate) 2.5mg; tabs.
Indications for FROVA:
Acute treatment of migraine.
≥18yrs: 2.5mg with fluids; may repeat once after 2 hours; max 7.5mg/24 hours. Reevaluate if no response after 1st dose. The safety of treating an average of more than 4 headaches in a 30-day period has not been established.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Ischemic cardiac, cerebro- or peripheral vascular disease (eg, history of MI, angina pectoris, silent myocardial ischemia, stroke, TIA, ischemic bowel disease). Uncontrolled hypertension. Other significant cardiovascular disease. Basilar or hemiplegic migraine. Within 24 hours of other 5-HT1 agonists or ergot-type drugs.
Confirm diagnosis. Exclude underlying cardiovascular disease, supervise 1st dose, consider monitoring ECG in patients with likelihood of unrecognized coronary disease (eg, postmenopausal women, men over age 40, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, obesity, diabetes, smokers, strong family history). Monitor cardiovascular function in long-term intermittent use. Peripheral vascular or colonic ischemia after other 5-HT1 agonists. Severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Methysergide, other ergotamines, or other 5-HT1 agonists: see Contraindications. Serotonin syndrome with SSRIs (eg, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, paroxetine, sertraline).
Selective 5-HT1B/1D receptor agonist.
Dizziness, paresthesia, dry mouth, fatigue, flushing, hot or cold sensation, dyspepsia, skeletal pain, chest/throat/neck symptoms (pain, pressure, tightness); serious cardiac events (rare).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder