Generic Name and Formulations:
Genistein (as aglycone) 27mg, citrated zinc (as bisglycinate) 20mg, cholecalciferol (Vit.D3) 200IU; caps; lactose-, gluten-free; contains soy.
Indications for FOSTEUM:
Dietary management of osteopenia and osteoporosis.
1 cap twice daily; supplement with calcium and Vit.D3 as needed.
History of breast or reproductive organ cancer. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Not for treatment of Vit.D deficiency. Women who have 1st degree female relative with history of breast or reproductive cancer. Women capable of becoming pregnant (use adequate contraception). Males: not recommended. Severe hepatic or renal impairment. Conditions associated with overproduction of calcitriol (eg, leukemia, lymphoma, sarcoidosis) or signs/symptoms of Vit.D toxicity; monitor urine and serum calcium. Long-term supplementation or high-doses of zinc-containing products: monitor zinc and copper levels. GI malabsorption; may need higher Vit.D3 doses (monitor). Ensure adequate calcium and Vit.D3 intake.
Concomitant HRT, SERMs: not recommended. Vit.D3 absorption may be decreased by bile acid sequestrants, mineral oil, orlistat, olestra. Cimetidine, thiazides, anticonvulsants may increase Vit.D3 catabolism.
Abdominal and epigastric pain, dyspepsia, vomiting, constipation.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Panel Recommends Earlier Body Weight Monitoring in Use of Mood Stabilizers
- Nondaily Cigarette Use Increasing Among Individuals With Mental Health, Substance Use Disorders
- Cesarean Delivery, Early Childhood Antibiotic Use Not Associated With Risk for ADHD
- Uncertainty as a Form of Violence: Current Immigration Policy and Crisis
- FDA Gets Tough on Juul, Other Electronic Cigarette Makers