Generic Name and Formulations:
Teriparatide (recombinant) 250mcg/mL; soln for SC inj; contains m-cresol.
Lilly, Eli and Company
Indications for FORTEO:
Postmenopausal osteoporosis in women who are at high risk for fracture. To increase bone mass in men with primary or hypogonadal osteoporosis who are at high risk for fracture. Treatment of men and women with osteoporosis associated with sustained glucocorticoid therapy at high risk for fracture (see literature).
20mcg SC once daily into thigh or abdominal wall; may treat for up to 2 years.
Increased baseline risk for osteosarcoma (eg, Paget's disease of bone, unexplained increased alkaline phosphatase, open epiphyses, prior skeletal radiation therapy), bone metastases, history of skeletal malignancies, metabolic bone disease, hypercalcemia or risk thereof (eg, hyperparathyroidism): not recommended. Urolithiasis. Hypercalciuria. Hepatic, renal, or cardiac disease. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with digoxin (teriparatide-induced hypercalcemia increases risk of toxicity).
Hormone (human parathyroid hormone, recombinant).
Arthralgia, pain, nausea; transient orthostatic hypotension, hypercalcemia, hyperuricemia, inj site reactions.
Multidose Pen (2.4mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders