Generic Name and Formulations:
Teriparatide (recombinant) 250mcg/mL; soln for SC inj; contains m-cresol.
Lilly, Eli and Company
Indications for FORTEO:
Postmenopausal osteoporosis in women who are at high risk for fracture. To increase bone mass in men with primary or hypogonadal osteoporosis who are at high risk for fracture. Treatment of men and women with osteoporosis associated with sustained glucocorticoid therapy at high risk for fracture (see literature).
20mcg SC once daily into thigh or abdominal wall; may treat for up to 2 years.
Increased baseline risk for osteosarcoma (eg, Paget's disease of bone, unexplained increased alkaline phosphatase, open epiphyses, prior skeletal radiation therapy), bone metastases, history of skeletal malignancies, metabolic bone disease, hypercalcemia or risk thereof (eg, hyperparathyroidism): not recommended. Urolithiasis. Hypercalciuria. Hepatic, renal, or cardiac disease. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with digoxin (teriparatide-induced hypercalcemia increases risk of toxicity).
Hormone (human parathyroid hormone, recombinant).
Arthralgia, pain, nausea; transient orthostatic hypotension, hypercalcemia, hyperuricemia, inj site reactions.
Multidose Pen (2.4mL)—1
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder