Generic Name and Formulations:
Ceftazidime 500mg, 1g, 2g; IM or IV inj; sodium content 2.3mEq/g.
Indications for FORTAZ:
Susceptible infections including septicemia, pneumonia, skin and skin structure, bone and joint, gynecologic, intraabdominal, meningitis, urinary tract.
Uncomplicated UTIs: 250mg IV or IM every 12hrs. Complicated UTIs: 500mg IV or IM every 8–12hrs. Uncomplicated pneumonia, mild skin or skin structure: 500mg–1g IV or IM every 8hrs. Bone and joint: 2g IV every 12hrs. Serious gynecologic, intraabdominal, meningitis, or very severe life-threatening (esp. immunocompromised): 2g IV every 8hrs. Lung infections by Pseudomonas in cystic fibrosis: 30–50mg/kg IV every 8hrs (max 6g/day). Renal impairment: CrCl 31–50mL/min: 1g every 12hrs; CrCl 16–30mL/min: 1g every 24hrs; CrCl 6–15mL/min: 500mg every 24hrs; CrCl <5mL/min: 500mg every 48hrs. Hemodialysis: 1g loading dose then 1g after dialysis session. Peritoneal dialysis: 1g loading dose then 500mg every 24hrs.
Neonates: 30mg/kg IV every 12hrs. 1mo–12yrs: 30–50mg/kg IV every 8hrs (max 6g/day). Renal impairment: reduce dose.
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal impairment; see Adult. Monitor prothrombin time in renal or hepatic dysfunction, poor nutritional states, or long-term use. GI disease (esp. colitis). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate nephrotoxicity of aminoglycosides or diuretics. Antagonized by chloramphenicol. False (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's, or Fehling's soln.
Hypersensitivity reactions (eg, rash, pruritus, fever), local reactions, GI upset, elevated liver enzymes; C. difficile-associated diarrhea.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Panel Recommends Earlier Body Weight Monitoring in Use of Mood Stabilizers
- Nondaily Cigarette Use Increasing Among Individuals With Mental Health, Substance Use Disorders
- Cesarean Delivery, Early Childhood Antibiotic Use Not Associated With Risk for ADHD
- Uncertainty as a Form of Violence: Current Immigration Policy and Crisis
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?