Generic Name and Formulations:
Isoflurane; liq for inhalation.
Indications for FORANE:
Induction and maintenance of general anesthesia.
Adults and Children:
See full labeling. Individualize. Induction: inspired concentrations of 1.5–3% isoflurane usually produce surgical anesthesia in 7–10 minutes. Maintenance: surgical levels of anesthesia may be sustained with a 1–2.5% concentration when nitrous oxide is used concomitantly. An additional 0.5–1% may be required when isoflurane is given using oxygen alone. If added relaxation is required, supplemental doses of muscle relaxants may be used.
Hypersensitivity to halogenated agents. Susceptibility to malignant hyperthermia.
To be administered only by those experienced in general anesthesia. Have intubation, artificial ventilation, oxygen and circulatory resuscitation available. Monitor for perioperative hyperkalemia esp. in pediatric patients during post-op period and those with latent or overt neuromuscular disease (eg, Duchenne muscular dystrophy); cardiac arrhythmias and death may occur. Pediatric neurotoxicity risk with repeated or prolonged use. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Caution with desiccated CO2 absorbents; replace before administration. Hyperkalemia with succinylcholine. Potentiates effects of muscle relaxants, esp. nondepolarizing muscle relaxants. MAC reduced by concomitant nitrous oxide.
Respiratory depression, hypotension, arrhythmias, shivering, nausea, vomiting, ileus, transient elevations in CSF pressure, blood glucose, creatinine, cholesterol, ALK, WBC; perioperative hyperkalemia, malignant hyperthermia.
Bottles (100mL, 250mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling
- Nightmares in Military Personnel Frequently Comorbid With Mental Health Disorders
- Potential for SERMs as Adjunctive Therapy for Schizophrenia
- Addressing Racial Disparities in Bipolar Disorder Treatment
- Negative Symptoms Increase Cardiovascular Risk in Schizophrenia