Generic Name and Formulations:
Isoflurane; liq for inhalation.
Indications for FORANE:
Induction and maintenance of general anesthesia.
Adults and Children:
See full labeling. Individualize. Induction: inspired concentrations of 1.5–3% isoflurane usually produce surgical anesthesia in 7–10 minutes. Maintenance: surgical levels of anesthesia may be sustained with a 1–2.5% concentration when nitrous oxide is used concomitantly. An additional 0.5–1% may be required when isoflurane is given using oxygen alone. If added relaxation is required, supplemental doses of muscle relaxants may be used.
Hypersensitivity to halogenated agents. Susceptibility to malignant hyperthermia.
To be administered only by those experienced in general anesthesia. Have intubation, artificial ventilation, oxygen and circulatory resuscitation available. Monitor for perioperative hyperkalemia esp. in pediatric patients during post-op period and those with latent or overt neuromuscular disease (eg, Duchenne muscular dystrophy); cardiac arrhythmias and death may occur. Pediatric neurotoxicity risk with repeated or prolonged use. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Caution with desiccated CO2 absorbents; replace before administration. Hyperkalemia with succinylcholine. Potentiates effects of muscle relaxants, esp. nondepolarizing muscle relaxants. MAC reduced by concomitant nitrous oxide.
Respiratory depression, hypotension, arrhythmias, shivering, nausea, vomiting, ileus, transient elevations in CSF pressure, blood glucose, creatinine, cholesterol, ALK, WBC; perioperative hyperkalemia, malignant hyperthermia.
Bottles (100mL, 250mL)—1
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder