FOLLISTIM AQ Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Follitropin beta (recombinant follicle-stimulating hormone) 75 IU, 150 IU; per vial; soln for SC or IM inj.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for FOLLISTIM AQ:
Stimulation of multiple follicles in ovulatory patients undergoing Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART). Induction of ovulation in patients with functional anovulatory infertility that is not due to ovarian failure.
Individualize. ART: initially 150–225 IU daily in the early follicular phase (at least first 4 days), then adjust based on response; max 600 IU. Ovulation induction: initially 75 IU daily for up to 14 days; then adjust weekly by 37.5 IU based on response; max 300 IU. Both: induce final maturation of follicles or ovulation with 5000–10000 IU of hCG (see Precautions).
Ovarian failure. Uncontrolled thyroid or adrenal disease. Undiagnosed abnormal vaginal bleeding. Ovarian cysts or enlargement. Tumor of pituitary, breast, ovary, or uterus. Streptomycin or neomycin allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Do complete gynecological and endocrinological exam first. Thromboembolic disorders. Do not give hCG if high estrogen levels or excessive numbers of ovarian follicles by ultrasound indicate a high risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
OHSS with pulmonary and vascular complications, ovarian enlargement or cysts, abdominal pain (discontinue if occurs), local reactions, risk of high order multiple births.
Vials (0.5mL)—1; Cartridge (w. needles)—1; Follistim Pen (w. needles)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling