Folic acid injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Folic acid 5mg/mL; soln for IV, IM or SC inj; contains benzyl alcohol and aluminum.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Folic acid injection:
Megaloblastic anemias of folic acid deficiency. Anemias of nutritional origin, pregnancy, infancy or childhood.
Adults and Children:
Usual dose: up to 1mg daily; may need higher dose if resistant disease. Maintenance: infants: 0.1mg/day; <4yrs: 0.3mg/day; ≥4yrs: 0.4mg/day. Pregnant or lactating: 0.8mg/day. Alcoholism, hemolytic anemia, anticonvulsant therapy or chronic infection: may require higher dose.
Use injectable form if disease is severe or GI absorption impaired. Rule out or treat vitamin B12 deficiency prior to treatment. May obscure diagnosis of pernicious anemia. Pregnancy (Cat. A).
May antagonize phenytoin. False low serum and red cell folate levels may occur with antibiotics (eg. tetracycline).
Formerly known under the brand names Folicet (tabs); Folvite (tabs, inj).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders