Generic Name and Formulations:
Trivalent inactivated "split virus" influenza vaccine (Types A and B); formulation changes annually; susp for IM inj; contains thimerosal.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for FLUVIRIN:
Adults and Children:
<4yrs: not recommended. Each dose is 0.5mL IM. 4–8yrs: 2 doses at least 1 month apart for 1st immunization, otherwise 1 dose per season. >9yrs: 1 dose/season. Infants and young children: give in anterolateral thigh; older: give in deltoid muscle.
Allergy to egg proteins. Life-threatening reaction to any previous flu vaccine.
Use current formulation only. Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous flu vaccine. Immunosuppressed. Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: insufficient data (see literature). Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids) may result in suboptimal response.
Local reactions, headache, fever, malaise, fatigue, myalgia.
Multidose vial (5mL)—1
Single-dose prefilled syringes (0.5mL)—10
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder