Generic Name and Formulations:
Trivalent inactivated "split virus" influenza vaccine (Types A and B); formulation changes annually; susp for IM inj; contains thimerosal.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for FLUVIRIN:
Adults and Children:
<4yrs: not recommended. Each dose is 0.5mL IM. 4–8yrs: 2 doses at least 1 month apart for 1st immunization, otherwise 1 dose per season. >9yrs: 1 dose/season. Infants and young children: give in anterolateral thigh; older: give in deltoid muscle.
Allergy to egg proteins. Life-threatening reaction to any previous flu vaccine.
Use current formulation only. Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous flu vaccine. Immunosuppressed. Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: insufficient data (see literature). Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids) may result in suboptimal response.
Local reactions, headache, fever, malaise, fatigue, myalgia.
Multidose vial (5mL)—1
Single-dose prefilled syringes (0.5mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed