Generic Name and Formulations:
Trivalent inactivated "split virus" influenza vaccine (Types A and B); formulation changes annually; susp for IM inj; contains thimerosal.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for FLUVIRIN:
Adults and Children:
<4yrs: not recommended. Each dose is 0.5mL IM. 4–8yrs: 2 doses at least 1 month apart for 1st immunization, otherwise 1 dose per season. >9yrs: 1 dose/season. Infants and young children: give in anterolateral thigh; older: give in deltoid muscle.
Allergy to egg proteins. Life-threatening reaction to any previous flu vaccine.
Use current formulation only. Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous flu vaccine. Immunosuppressed. Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: insufficient data (see literature). Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids) may result in suboptimal response.
Local reactions, headache, fever, malaise, fatigue, myalgia.
Multidose vial (5mL)—1
Single-dose prefilled syringes (0.5mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age