Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluticasone propionate 50mcg/spray; aqueous nasal spray.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Fluticasone:
Perennial nonallergic rhinitis.
Initially 2 sprays in each nostril once daily or 1 spray in each nostril twice daily (AM and PM). Maintenance: may reduce to 1 spray in each nostril daily. Max total daily doses: 2 sprays in each nostril (200mcg/day).
<4yrs: not established. ≥4yrs: initially 1 spray in each nostril once daily; may increase to 2 sprays in each nostril once daily. Maintenance: 1 spray in each nostril once daily. Max total daily doses: 2 sprays in each nostril (200mcg/day).
Maintain regular regimen. Respiratory tract tuberculosis. Infections (eg, ocular herpes simplex). If exposed to measles or chickenpox, consider anti-infective prophylactic therapy. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with topical corticosteroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, depression). Monitor for growth suppression in children. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually), and candida infection or other nasal mucosal changes. Avoid eyes. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid ritonavir. Caution with potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole).
Headache, pharyngitis, epistaxis, nasal burning, asthma symptoms, GI upset, cough, reduced growth velocity in children.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder