Generic Name and Formulations:
Flutamide 125mg; caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Flutamide:
In combination with LHRH agonists (GnRH analogues) in locally confined stage B2–C and stage D2 metastatic prostate carcinoma.
250mg every 8 hrs.
Severe hepatic impairment. ALT ≥2xULN: not recommended.
Monitor liver function at baseline, monthly for first 4 months, then periodically, and if liver dysfunction occurs; if ALT >2xULN or jaundice occurs, discontinue and monitor closely until resolution. Monitor prostate specific antigen (PSA). Consider monitoring methemoglobin levels in patients susceptible to aniline toxicity (e.g., G6PD deficiency, smokers, hemoglobin M disease). Pregnancy (Cat.D); not for use in women.
Diarrhea, hot flashes, loss of libido, impotence, GI disturbances, gynecomastia, rash, edema, hypertension, CNS effects, blood dyscrasias, urine discoloration, liver failure.
Formerly known under the brand name Eulexin.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?