Generic Name and Formulations:
Flutamide 125mg; caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Flutamide:
In combination with LHRH agonists (GnRH analogues) in locally confined stage B2–C and stage D2 metastatic prostate carcinoma.
250mg every 8 hrs.
Severe hepatic impairment. ALT ≥2xULN: not recommended.
Monitor liver function at baseline, monthly for first 4 months, then periodically, and if liver dysfunction occurs; if ALT >2xULN or jaundice occurs, discontinue and monitor closely until resolution. Monitor prostate specific antigen (PSA). Consider monitoring methemoglobin levels in patients susceptible to aniline toxicity (e.g., G6PD deficiency, smokers, hemoglobin M disease). Pregnancy (Cat.D); not for use in women.
Diarrhea, hot flashes, loss of libido, impotence, GI disturbances, gynecomastia, rash, edema, hypertension, CNS effects, blood dyscrasias, urine discoloration, liver failure.
Formerly known under the brand name Eulexin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age