Fluphenazine Elixir Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluphenazine HCl 0.5mg/mL; alcohol 14%.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Fluphenazine Elixir:
Initially: 2.5–10mg daily in 3–4 divided doses; max 40mg daily.
Initially 1–2.5mg daily in 3–4 divided doses; max 40mg daily.
Coma. CNS or bone marrow depression. Liver disease. Subcortical brain damage. Blood dyscrasias.
Cardiovascular or renal disease. Pheochromocytoma. Seizures. Glaucoma. History of breast cancer. Exposure to extreme heat or organophosphates. Gradually reduce to lowest effective maintenance dose. Monitor blood, liver, renal, and ocular function. Mental retardation. Surgery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiates anticholinergics, CNS depression with alcohol and other CNS depressants; both drugs with propranolol. Antagonized by anticholinergics. Decreased guanethidine effects. May cause false (+) pregnancy test.
Drowsiness, anticholinergic and other autonomic effects, insomnia, restlessness, rash, photosensitivity, tardive dyskinesia, blood dyscrasias, jaundice, pneumonia, hypertension, retinopathy, lowered seizure threshold, extrapyramidal reactions, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, weight changes, endocrine effects.
Formerly known under the brand names Prolixin (tabs, concentrate, elixir, inj); Permitil (tabs, concentrate); Prolixin Decanoate (decanoate inj).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses