Fluphenazine Concentrate Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluphenazine HCl 5mg/mL; alcohol 14%. Dilute just before administration.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Fluphenazine Concentrate:
Initially: 2.5–10mg daily in 3–4 divided doses; max 40mg daily.
Initially 1–2.5mg daily in 3–4 divided doses; max 40mg daily.
Coma. CNS or bone marrow depression. Liver disease. Subcortical brain damage. Blood dyscrasias.
Cardiovascular or renal disease. Pheochromocytoma. Seizures. Glaucoma. History of breast cancer. Exposure to extreme heat or organophosphates. Gradually reduce to lowest effective maintenance dose. Monitor blood, liver, renal, and ocular function. Mental retardation. Surgery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiates anticholinergics, CNS depression with alcohol and other CNS depressants; both drugs with propranolol. Antagonized by anticholinergics. Decreased guanethidine effects. May cause false (+) pregnancy test.
Drowsiness, anticholinergic and other autonomic effects, insomnia, restlessness, rash, photosensitivity, tardive dyskinesia, blood dyscrasias, jaundice, pneumonia, hypertension, retinopathy, lowered seizure threshold, extrapyramidal reactions, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, weight changes, endocrine effects.
Formerly known under the brand names Prolixin (tabs, concentrate, elixir, inj); Permitil (tabs, concentrate); Prolixin Decanoate (decanoate inj).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?