Flunisolide Spray Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Flunisolide 25mcg/spray; nasal soln.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Flunisolide Spray:
Seasonal or perennial rhinitis.
≥15yrs: Initially 2 sprays in each nostril twice daily; max 8 sprays/nostril per day.
<6yrs: not recommended. 6–14yrs: Initially 1 spray in each nostril 3 times daily or 2 sprays twice daily; max 4 sprays/nostril per day.
Untreated nasal infections.
Maintain regular regimen. Respiratory tract tuberculosis. Infections (eg, ocular herpes simplex). If exposed to measles or chickenpox, consider anti-infective prophylactic therapy. Reduce dose as condition improves. May use nasal decongestants if needed. Discontinue if no effect after 3 wks. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with topical corticosteroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, depression). Monitor for growth suppression in children. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually), and candida infection or other nasal mucosal changes. Avoid eyes. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Nasal discomfort, congestion, sneezing, epistaxis, lacrimation, sore throat, nausea, headache, loss of taste and smell, septal perforation, hypercorticism, fungal overgrowth, impaired wound healing, glaucoma, reduced growth velocity in children.
Formerly known under the brand names Nasalide, Nasarel.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children