FLUMIST QUADRIVALENT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Quadrivalent, live attenuated influenza vaccine (virus types A and B); formulation changes annually; susp in intranasal sprayer; contains gelatin, arginine, gentamicin (trace); preservative-free.
Indications for FLUMIST QUADRIVALENT:
Adults and Children:
<2yrs or ≥50yrs: not recommended. Give before start of flu season; each dose is 0.2mL intranasally (as 0.1mL/nostril). 2–8yrs: 1 or 2 doses/season (depends on vaccination history as per annual ACIP recommendation); if 2 doses, give at least 1 month apart. 9–49yrs: 1 dose/season.
Allergy to egg protein, gentamicin, gelatin, or arginine. Life-threatening reaction to previous flu vaccine. Concomitant aspirin in patients 2–17yrs of age (Reye's syndrome).
Use current formulation only. Asthmatics or children <5yrs old with recurrent wheezing: may be at increased risk of wheezing following administration. Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous flu vaccine. Underlying medical conditions predisposing to flu complications. Immunocompromised. Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: see full labeling. Do not administer until 48hrs after antiviral therapy cessation. Do not give antivirals within 2 weeks of administration.
Rhinorrhea/nasal congestion, fever, sore throat, decreased appetite, irritability; wheezing.
Single-dose pre-filled nasal spray (0.2mL)—10
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records