FLUMIST QUADRIVALENT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Quadrivalent, live attenuated influenza vaccine (virus types A and B); formulation changes annually; susp in intranasal sprayer; contains gelatin, arginine, gentamicin (trace); preservative-free.
Indications for FLUMIST QUADRIVALENT:
Adults and Children:
<2yrs or ≥50yrs: not recommended. Give before start of flu season; each dose is 0.2mL intranasally (as 0.1mL/nostril). 2–8yrs: 1 or 2 doses/season (depends on vaccination history as per annual ACIP recommendation); if 2 doses, give at least 1 month apart. 9–49yrs: 1 dose/season.
Allergy to egg protein, gentamicin, gelatin, or arginine. Life-threatening reaction to previous flu vaccine. Concomitant aspirin in patients 2–17yrs of age (Reye's syndrome).
Use current formulation only. Asthmatics or children <5yrs old with recurrent wheezing: may be at increased risk of wheezing following administration. Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous flu vaccine. Underlying medical conditions predisposing to flu complications. Immunocompromised. Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: see full labeling. Do not administer until 48hrs after antiviral therapy cessation. Do not give antivirals within 2 weeks of administration.
Rhinorrhea/nasal congestion, fever, sore throat, decreased appetite, irritability; wheezing.
Single-dose pre-filled nasal spray (0.2mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age