FLULAVAL QUADRIVALENT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Quadrivalent, inactivated, "split virion" influenza vaccine (types A and B); contains a total of 60mcg hemagglutinin per 0.5mL dose; formulation changes annually; susp for IM inj; contains thimerosal.
Indications for FLULAVAL QUADRIVALENT:
Adults and Children:
<6months: not established. Each dose is 0.5mL by IM inj once in the anterolateral thigh (6–11months) and in the deltoid (≥12months). 6months–8yrs (previously unvaccinated): 2 doses/season, give at least 4 weeks apart; (vaccinated in a previous season): 1 or 2 doses/season (depending on vaccination history as per annual ACIP recommendation); if 2 doses/season; give at least 4 weeks apart. ≥9yrs: 1 dose/season.
Allergy to egg protein. Life-threatening reaction to any previous flu vaccine.
Use current formulation only. Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous flu vaccine. Bleeding disorders. Immunosuppressed. Risk of sycope with injectable vaccines. Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: insufficient data (see full labeling). Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions (eg, pain, redness, swelling), headache, muscle aches, arthralgia, fatigue, fever, malaise; children: irritability, loss of appetite, drowsiness.
Single-dose prefilled Tip-Lok syringes (0.5mL)—10; Multi-dose vial (5mL)—1
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder