Generic Name and Formulations:
Fludarabine phosphate 50mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; preservative-free; contains mannitol.
Sanofi Genzyme Company
Indications for FLUDARA:
B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) in patients who have not responded to or whose disease progressed during treatment with at least 1 alkylating-agent containing regimen.
Give by IV infusion over 30 minutes. 25mg/m2 daily for 5 days every 28 days. Renal dysfunction (CrCl 30–70mL/min): reduce dose by 20%; CrCl <30mL/min: not recommended. Give for 3 cycles after the max response. Reduce or delay dose if toxicity occurs.
Myelosuppression. Evaluate and monitor for hemolysis. Monitor blood (esp CBC, platelets). Use irradiated blood products if transfusions are required. May need to prophylax for tumor lysis syndrome with large tumors. Renal insufficiency. Delay or stop therapy if neurotoxicity occurs. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Severe pulmonary toxicity with pentostatin (not recommended).
Myelosuppression (severe/cumulative), bone marrow hypoplasia, autoimmune hemolytic anemia (fatal/severe), infection, fever, chills, GI upset, malaise, fatigue, CNS effects (eg, weakness, agitation, confusion, visual disturbances, coma, peripheral neuropathy), pneumonia, pulmonary hypersensitivity (eg, dyspnea, interstitial pulmonary infiltrate), stomatitis, GI bleeding, edema, tumor lysis syndrome, rash, hemorrhagic cystitis (rare); others.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed