Generic Name and Formulations:
Trivalent, inactivated, adjuvanted (MF59C.1) influenza vaccine (virus types A and B); contains a total of at least 45mcg of hemagglutinin per 0.5mL dose; formulation changes annually; susp for IM inj; may contain trace amounts of neomycin, kanamycin, barium, egg proteins, formaldehyde; preservative-free.
Indications for FLUAD:
Influenza immunization for patients ≥65yrs of age.
<65yrs: not established. ≥65yrs: 0.5mL IM inj once in the deltoid; 1 dose per year.
Allergy to egg protein. Life-threatening reaction to any previous flu vaccine.
Use current formulation only. Have appropriate medical treatment and supervision readily available. Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous flu vaccine. Immunosuppressed. Latex allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Concomitant vaccines: insufficient data (see full labeling). Immunosuppressants (eg, corticosteroids): may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions (eg, pain, tenderness), myalgia, headache, fatigue; syncope.
Single-dose prefilled syringe (0.5mL)—1, 10 (without needles)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling
- Nightmares in Military Personnel Frequently Comorbid With Mental Health Disorders
- Potential for SERMs as Adjunctive Therapy for Schizophrenia
- Addressing Racial Disparities in Bipolar Disorder Treatment
- Negative Symptoms Increase Cardiovascular Risk in Schizophrenia