FLOVENT HFA Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluticasone propionate 44mcg/inh, 110mcg/inh, 220mcg/inh; metered dose inhaler; CFC-free.
Indications for FLOVENT HFA:
Maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy.
Limitations Of use:
Not for the relief of acute bronchospasm.
Previously on bronchodilators alone: initially 88mcg twice daily (approx. 12hrs apart); max 880mcg twice daily. Rinse mouth after use. Titrate to lowest effective dose after stability achieved. Re-evaluate if inadequate control.
<4yrs: not established. 4–11yrs: 88mcg twice daily (approx. 12hrs apart). Rinse mouth after use. Titrate to lowest effective dose after stability achieved. Re-evaluate if inadequate control.
Primary treatment of status asthmaticus or other acute attacks requiring intensive measures.
Maintain regular regimen. Infections. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider anti-infective prophylactic therapy. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with inhaled corticosteroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, lassitude). Change in vision or history of increased intraocular pressure, glaucoma, and/or cataracts; monitor. Monitor for reduction in bone mineral density if other osteoporosis risk factors exist; and for growth suppression in children; hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually). Eosinophilic conditions. Hepatic impairment (monitor). Transferring from oral corticosteroids: see full labeling. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, ketoconazole): not recommended.
Upper respiratory infection/inflammation, throat irritation, sinusitis, dysphonia, candidiasis, cough, bronchitis, headache; immunosuppression, adrenal suppression, bronchospasm.
Inhaler w. actuator (44mcg)—10.6g (120 inh); 110mcg, 220mcg—12g (120 inh)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder