FLOVENT HFA Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluticasone propionate 44mcg/inh, 110mcg/inh, 220mcg/inh; metered dose inhaler; CFC-free.
Indications for FLOVENT HFA:
Maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy.
Limitations Of use:
Not for the relief of acute bronchospasm.
Previously on bronchodilators alone: initially 88mcg twice daily (approx. 12hrs apart); max 880mcg twice daily. Rinse mouth after use. Titrate to lowest effective dose after stability achieved. Re-evaluate if inadequate control.
<4yrs: not established. 4–11yrs: 88mcg twice daily (approx. 12hrs apart). Rinse mouth after use. Titrate to lowest effective dose after stability achieved. Re-evaluate if inadequate control.
Primary treatment of status asthmaticus or other acute attacks requiring intensive measures.
Maintain regular regimen. Infections. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider anti-infective prophylactic therapy. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with inhaled corticosteroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, lassitude). Change in vision or history of increased intraocular pressure, glaucoma, and/or cataracts; monitor. Monitor for reduction in bone mineral density if other osteoporosis risk factors exist; and for growth suppression in children; hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually). Eosinophilic conditions. Hepatic impairment (monitor). Transferring from oral corticosteroids: see full labeling. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, ketoconazole): not recommended.
Upper respiratory infection/inflammation, throat irritation, sinusitis, dysphonia, candidiasis, cough, bronchitis, headache; immunosuppression, adrenal suppression, bronchospasm.
Inhaler w. actuator (44mcg)—10.6g (120 inh); 110mcg, 220mcg—12g (120 inh)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Gestational Diabetes Associated With Increased Risk for Postpartum Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Smartphone-Based Psychoeducational Programs May Be Effective for Bipolar Disorder Management
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Risk Factors for Recurrent Suicide Attempts in Substance Use Disorder Outpatients