FLOVENT DISKUS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluticasone propionate 50mcg/inh, 100mcg/inh, 250mcg/inh; dry pwd for inhalation; blisters with inhalation device.
Indications for FLOVENT DISKUS:
Maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy.
Limitations Of use:
Not for the relief of acute bronchospasm.
Previously on bronchodilators alone: initially 100mcg twice daily (approx. 12hrs apart); max 1000mcg twice daily. Rinse mouth after use. Titrate to lowest effective dose after stability achieved. Re-evaluate if inadequate control.
<4yrs: not established. 4–11yrs: Previously on bronchodilators alone: initially 50mcg twice daily (approx. 12hrs apart); max 100mcg twice daily. Rinse mouth after use. Titrate to lowest effective dose after stability achieved. Re-evaluate if inadequate control.
Primary treatment of status asthmaticus or other acute attacks requiring intensive measures. Severe milk protein hypersensitivity.
Maintain regular regimen. Infections. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider anti-infective prophylactic therapy. If adrenal insufficiency exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with inhaled corticosteroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (eg, lassitude). Change in vision or history of increased intraocular pressure, glaucoma, and/or cataracts; monitor. Monitor for reduction in bone mineral density if other osteoporosis risk factors exist; and for growth suppression in children; hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue gradually). Eosinophilic conditions. Hepatic impairment (monitor). Transferring from oral corticosteroids: see full labeling. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, ketoconazole): not recommended.
Upper respiratory tract infection/inflammation, throat irritation, sinusitis, rhinitis, oral candidiasis, nausea, vomiting, GI discomfort, fever, cough, bronchitis, headache; immunosuppression, adrenal suppression, bronchospasm, hypersensitivity reactions.
Diskus (60 blisters)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders