Generic Name and Formulations:
Tamsulosin HCl 0.4mg; caps.
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
Indications for FLOMAX:
Swallow whole. Take ½ hr after same meal of each day. Initially 0.4mg once daily; may increase to 0.8mg once daily after 2–4 weeks if response is inadequate. If therapy is interrupted, resume at 0.4mg once daily and retitrate.
Rule out prostate cancer. Sulfa allergy. Syncope. End-stage renal disease. Cataract or glaucoma surgery: do not initiate therapy (possible Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome). Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Do not use with other α-blockers or strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole). Caution with concomitant moderate CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin), moderate or strong CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, paroxetine, terbinafine), or CYP2D6 poor metabolizers (esp. with tamsulosin >0.4mg/day). Caution with concomitant cimetidine (esp. with tamsulosin >0.4mg/day) or warfarin. Symptomatic hypotension with concomitant PDE5 inhibitors.
Headache, abnormal ejaculation, dizziness, rhinitis, infection, asthenia, back pain, diarrhea, pharyngitis, chest pain, nausea, tooth disorder, blurred vision, cough, somnolence, sinusitis, libido decreased, insomnia; rare: priapism.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy