Generic Name and Formulations:
Tamsulosin HCl 0.4mg; caps.
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
Indications for FLOMAX:
Swallow whole. Take ½ hr after same meal of each day. Initially 0.4mg once daily; may increase to 0.8mg once daily after 2–4 weeks if response is inadequate. If therapy is interrupted, resume at 0.4mg once daily and retitrate.
Rule out prostate cancer. Sulfa allergy. Syncope. End-stage renal disease. Cataract or glaucoma surgery: do not initiate therapy (possible Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome). Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Do not use with other α-blockers or strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole). Caution with concomitant moderate CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin), moderate or strong CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, paroxetine, terbinafine), or CYP2D6 poor metabolizers (esp. with tamsulosin >0.4mg/day). Caution with concomitant cimetidine (esp. with tamsulosin >0.4mg/day) or warfarin. Symptomatic hypotension with concomitant PDE5 inhibitors.
Headache, abnormal ejaculation, dizziness, rhinitis, infection, asthenia, back pain, diarrhea, pharyngitis, chest pain, nausea, tooth disorder, blurred vision, cough, somnolence, sinusitis, libido decreased, insomnia; rare: priapism.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders