Generic Name and Formulations:
Epoprostenol (as sodium) 0.5mg, 1.5mg; per vial; pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution.
Indications for FLOLAN:
Primary pulmonary hypertension. Pulmonary hypertension due to scleroderma disease in NYHA Class III and Class IV patients who do not respond adequately to conventional therapy.
Give by continuous chronic IV infusion through a central venous catheter. Initially 2 nanograms/kg per min; increase in increments of 2 nanograms/kg per min at ≥15 minute intervals until response achieved or tolerance develops. Dose decreases should be made gradually in 2 nanograms/kg/min decrements at ≥15 minute intervals until dose-limiting effects resolve.
Chronic use with CHF due to severe left ventricular systolic dysfunction. Pulmonary edema.
Avoid abrupt withdrawal or large dose reductions (may cause rebound pulmonary hypertension). Bleeding disorders. Start anticoagulant therapy, unless contraindicated. Monitor BP and heart rate for several hours after dose changes. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Labor & delivery. Nursing mothers.
Potentiated hypotensive effects with diuretics, antihypertensive agents, other vasodilators. Potentiates anticoagulants, antiplatelet agents. May potentiate digoxin (monitor).
Headache, jaw pain, flushing, GI upset, flu-like symptoms, anxiety, dizziness, tachycardia, myalgia.
Vials—1 (w. diluent)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy