Generic Name and Formulations:
Degarelix 80mg/vial, 120mg/vial; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution.
Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for FIRMAGON:
Advanced prostate cancer.
Give by SC inj in abdomen once every 28 days; avoid waist and rib areas. Two 120mg injections once, then one 80mg inj once every 28 days.
Congenital long QT syndrome. CHF. Correct electrolyte abnormalities. Monitor electrolytes and ECG periodically. Monitor serum PSA. Discontinue if serious hypersensitivity reaction occurs; do not rechallenge. Moderate or severe renal impairment (CrCl <50mL/min). Severe hepatic impairment. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with concomitant drugs known to prolong the QT interval.
Inj site reactions (eg, pain, erythema, swelling, induration), hot flashes, increased weight, fatigue, increased transaminases, increased gamma-glutamyltransferase; QT prolongation.
Treatment Initiation pack (120mg/vial)—2 (w. supplies); Treatment Maintenance pack (80mg/vial)—1 (w. supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders