Generic Name and Formulations:
Degarelix 80mg/vial, 120mg/vial; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution.
Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for FIRMAGON:
Advanced prostate cancer.
Give by SC inj in abdomen once every 28 days; avoid waist and rib areas. Two 120mg injections once, then one 80mg inj once every 28 days.
Congenital long QT syndrome. CHF. Correct electrolyte abnormalities. Monitor electrolytes and ECG periodically. Monitor serum PSA. Discontinue if serious hypersensitivity reaction occurs; do not rechallenge. Moderate or severe renal impairment (CrCl <50mL/min). Severe hepatic impairment. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with concomitant drugs known to prolong the QT interval.
Inj site reactions (eg, pain, erythema, swelling, induration), hot flashes, increased weight, fatigue, increased transaminases, increased gamma-glutamyltransferase; QT prolongation.
Treatment Initiation pack (120mg/vial)—2 (w. supplies); Treatment Maintenance pack (80mg/vial)—1 (w. supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age