Generic Name and Formulations:
Iron (as sodium ferric gluconate complex in sucrose) 12.5mg/mL; soln for IV inj or infusion; contains benzyl alcohol.
Indications for FERRLECIT:
Iron deficiency anemia in patients on chronic hemodialysis receiving epoetin therapy.
Give by IV infusion (diluted) or slow IV inj (undiluted). 125mg infused over 1 hour or by slow IV inj (at a rate of up to 12.5mg/min). Minimum cumulative dose: 1g given over 8 sequential dialysis sessions; usual max: 125mg/dose.
<6 yrs: not recommended. Give by IV infusion (diluted) over 1 hour. ≥6yrs: 1.5mg/kg per dose at 8 sequential dialysis sessions; max: 125mg/dose.
Anemias not caused by iron deficiency. Iron overload. Neonates.
Hemoglobinopathies. Refractory anemias. Pregnancy (Cat. B). Nursing mothers.
May reduce absorption of concomitant oral iron preparations.
Hypotension, hypertension, GI upset, chest pain, back pain, abdominal pain, pruritus, inj site reaction, headache, dizziness, syncope, fatigue, fever, cramps, dyspnea, tachycardia; rare: hypersensitivity reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders