Generic Name and Formulations:
Deferiprone 500mg; scored tabs.
ApoPharma USA Inc.
Indications for FERRIPROX:
Treatment of transfusional iron overload due to thalassemia syndromes when current chelation therapy is inadequate.
Limitations Of use:
Not for use in treating other chronic anemias.
Individualize. Initially 25mg/kg three times daily (total dose 75mg/kg/day). Max: 33mg/kg three times daily (total dose 99mg/kg/day). Round dose to the nearest 250mg (half-tablet). Adjust dose to individual response and therapeutic goals. Consider temporary dose interruption if serum ferritin falls consistently <500mcg/L.
Risk of neutropenia or fatal agranulocytosis. Measure ANC before starting therapy and monitor weekly during. Interrupt therapy if infection or neutropenia develops (ANC <1.5×109/L). If neutropenia occurs, obtain CBCs, WBCs, ANC, and platelets daily until recovery (ANC ≥1.5×109/L). Monitor serum ALT monthly; consider interruption if persistent increase in transaminase levels. Monitor serum ferritin every 2–3 months. Monitor plasma zinc, supplement if deficient. Severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant use with other drugs associated with neutropenia or agranulocytosis. Allow at least 4-hour interval with antacids or mineral supplements containing polyvalent cations (eg, iron, aluminum, zinc). Concomitant UGT 1A6 inhibitors: closely monitor and may need dose adjustments or interruptions.
Iron chelating agent.
Chromaturia, GI upset, abdominal pain, increased ALT, arthralgia, neutropenia; agranulocytosis.
This product is available from Dohmen Life Science Services. Dohmen Life Science Services is the sole distributor of Ferriprox in the U.S.
For more information, contact Ferriprox Total Care at (866) 758-7071.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders