Generic Name and Formulations:
Deferiprone 500mg; scored tabs.
ApoPharma USA Inc.
Indications for FERRIPROX:
Treatment of transfusional iron overload due to thalassemia syndromes when current chelation therapy is inadequate.
Limitations Of use:
Not for use in treating other chronic anemias.
Individualize. Initially 25mg/kg three times daily (total dose 75mg/kg/day). Max: 33mg/kg three times daily (total dose 99mg/kg/day). Round dose to the nearest 250mg (half-tablet). Adjust dose to individual response and therapeutic goals. Consider temporary dose interruption if serum ferritin falls consistently <500mcg/L.
Risk of neutropenia or fatal agranulocytosis. Measure ANC before starting therapy and monitor weekly during. Interrupt therapy if infection or neutropenia develops (ANC <1.5×109/L). If neutropenia occurs, obtain CBCs, WBCs, ANC, and platelets daily until recovery (ANC ≥1.5×109/L). Monitor serum ALT monthly; consider interruption if persistent increase in transaminase levels. Monitor serum ferritin every 2–3 months. Monitor plasma zinc, supplement if deficient. Severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Iron chelating agent.
Avoid concomitant use with other drugs associated with neutropenia or agranulocytosis. Allow at least 4-hour interval with antacids or mineral supplements containing polyvalent cations (eg, iron, aluminum, zinc). Concomitant UGT 1A6 inhibitors: closely monitor and may need dose adjustments or interruptions.
Chromaturia, GI upset, abdominal pain, increased ALT, arthralgia, neutropenia; agranulocytosis.
This product is available from Dohmen Life Science Services. Dohmen Life Science Services is the sole distributor of Ferriprox in the U.S.
For more information, contact Ferriprox Total Care at (866) 758-7071.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age