Generic Name and Formulations:
Letrozole 2.5mg; tabs.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for FEMARA:
In postmenopausal women: Adjuvant treatment of hormone receptor positive early breast cancer; Extended adjuvant treatment of early breast cancer after 5 years of adjuvant tamoxifen therapy; First-line treatment of hormone receptor positive or unknown, locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer; Treatment of advanced breast cancer with disease progression following antiestrogen therapy.
2.5mg once daily. Adjuvant or extended adjuvant therapy: discontinue at tumor relapse; see full labeling. Advanced breast cancer: continue until tumor progression is evident. Severe hepatic impairment or cirrhosis: 2.5mg every other day.
Monitor bone mineral density, serum cholesterol. Severe renal or hepatic impairment. Embryo-fetal toxicity; exclude pregnancy prior to initiation. Use effective contraception during and for ≥3wks after last dose. Nursing mothers: not recommended (during and for ≥3wks after last dose).
Pain (bone, musculoskeletal, and others), hot flashes, arthralgia, flushing, asthenia, edema, headache, dizziness, hypercholesterolemia, sweating increased, GI upset, fatigue, somnolence, dyspnea, cough, insomnia, hypertension, anorexia, weight changes; thromboembolic or cardio- or cerebrovascular events (rare).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder