FELBATOL SUSPENSION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Mylan Specialty L.P.
Indications for FELBATOL SUSPENSION:
Not a first-line treatment. Partial seizures with or without generalization in adults. Adjunct in Lennox-Gastaut syndrome in children.
See full labeling. ≥14yrs: initial monotherapy: 1.2g/day in 3–4 divided doses, increase by 600mg every 2 weeks to 2.4g/day and up to 3.6g/day if needed. Conversion to monotherapy/adjunctive therapy: 1.2g/day in 3–4 divided doses, increase to 2.4g/day at week 2, and to 3.6g/day at week 3. Dosages of concomitant anticonvulsant drugs should be reduced upon the initiation of felbamate therapy and weekly thereafter (see full labeling). Renal dysfunction: reduce initial and maintenance dose by ½.
Lennox-Gastaut: ≥2yrs: 15mg/kg per day in 3–4 divided doses, increase dose by 15mg/kg per day at 1 week intervals to 45mg/kg per day. Dose of concomitant anticonvulsant drug should be reduced upon the initiation of felbamate therapy (see full labeling).
History of hepatic dysfunction or blood dyscrasias.
Increased risk of aplastic anemia or hepatic failure. Do full baseline hematologic evaluations and hepatic function tests before, during, and after therapy; discontinue if hepatic tests are abnormal or bone marrow depression occurs; consult hematologist if hematological abnormalities occur. Suicidal tendencies (monitor). Adjust dose of and monitor other anticonvulsants. Avoid abrupt cessation. Obtain written informed consent. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Increases serum levels of phenytoin, valproate, carbamazepine metabolite. Decreases carbamazepine levels. Serum levels decreased by phenytoin, carbamazepine.
Anorexia, vomiting, insomnia, nausea, headache; rare: primary hepatotoxicity, aplastic anemia.
Tabs—100; Susp—4oz, 8oz, 32oz
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders