Famotidine Injection Preservative-Free Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Famotidine 20mg/50mL; soln for IV infusion; preservative-free.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Famotidine Injection Preservative-Free:
Hospitalized patients with pathological hypersecretory conditions, intractable ulcers, or as a short-term alternative to oral dosage forms.
Give by IV inj over 2 mins or infuse over 15–30 mins. 20mg every 12hrs.
See full labeling. Give by IV inj over 2 mins or infuse over 15 mins. <1yr: not recommended. 1–16yrs: initially 0.25mg/kg every 12hrs; max 40mg/day.
Symptomatic response does not preclude gastric malignancy. Moderate-to-severe renal insufficiency (CrCl <50mL/min): reduce to ½ the dose or prolong dosing interval to 36–48hrs. Elderly: use low doses. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant dasatinib, delavirdine mesylate, cefditoren, fosamprenavir: not recommended. May alter absorption of pH-dependent drugs (eg, atazanavir, erlotinib, ketoconazole, itraconazole, ledipasvir/sofosbuvir, nilotinib, rilpivirine). May potentiate CYP1A2 substrates (eg, tizanidine); monitor if use is needed. May give antacids concomitantly.
Headache, dizziness, constipation, diarrhea, inj site reactions; rare: CNS reactions, prolonged QT interval in renal impairment (moderate and severe).
Formerly known under the brand name Pepcid Injection.
Tabs—30, 100; Susp—50mL; Inj—contact supplier
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses