Generic Name and Formulations:
Aflibercept 40mg/mL; soln for oph intravitreal inj; preservative-free.
Indications for EYLEA:
Neovascular (wet) age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Macular edema following retinal vein occlusion (RVO). Diabetic macular edema (DME). Diabetic retinopathy (DR) in patients with DME.
Give by intravitreal injection. AMD: 2mg (0.05mL) once every 4 weeks (monthly) for the 1st 3 months, followed by 2mg (0.05mL) once every 8 weeks; some may need the monthly dosing after the 1st 3 months. RVO: 2mg (0.05mL) once every 4 weeks (monthly). DME, DR: 2mg (0.05mL) once every 4 weeks (monthly) for the 1st 5 injections, followed by 2mg (0.05mL) once every 8 weeks (2 months); some may need the monthly dosing after the 1st 5 months.
Ocular or periocular infections. Active intraocular inflammation.
Monitor for endophthalmitis and retinal detachments during the week following injection. Monitor intraocular pressure and perfusion of optic nerve head after injection. Potential risk of arterial thromboembolic events (eg, nonfatal stroke or MI, vascular death). Pregnancy. Females of reproductive potential should use effective contraception prior to initial dose, during therapy, and for at least 3 months after last injection. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Recombinant fusion protein (human VEGF inhibitor + human IgG1).
Conjunctival hemorrhage, eye pain, cataract, vitreous detachment, vitreous floaters, increased intraocular pressure; hypersensitivity reactions.
Single-use vial—1 (w. needles + syringe)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder