Generic Name and Formulations:
Aflibercept 2mg/0.05mL; soln for oph intravitreal inj; preservative-free.
Indications for EYLEA:
Neovascular (wet) age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Macular edema following retinal vein occlusion (RVO). Diabetic macular edema (DME). Diabetic retinopathy (DR) in patients with DME.
Give by intravitreal injection. AMD: 2mg (0.05mL) once every 4 weeks (monthly) for the 1st 3 months, followed by 2mg (0.05mL) once every 8 weeks (2 months); some may need the monthly dosing after the 1st 3 months. May also treat with 1 dose every 12 weeks after one year of successful therapy (not as effective); assess regularly. RVO: 2mg (0.05mL) once every 4 weeks (monthly). DME, DR: 2mg (0.05mL) once every 4 weeks (monthly) for the 1st 5 injections, followed by 2mg (0.05mL) once every 8 weeks (2 months); some may need the monthly dosing after the 1st 5 months.
Ocular or periocular infections. Active intraocular inflammation.
Monitor for endophthalmitis and retinal detachments during the week following injection. Monitor intraocular pressure and perfusion of optic nerve head after injection. Potential risk of arterial thromboembolic events (eg, nonfatal stroke or MI, vascular death). Pregnancy. Females of reproductive potential should use effective contraception prior to initial dose, during therapy, and for at least 3 months after last injection. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Recombinant fusion protein (human VEGF inhibitor + human IgG1).
Conjunctival hemorrhage, eye pain, cataract, vitreous detachment, vitreous floaters, increased intraocular pressure; hypersensitivity reactions.
Single-use vial—1; Kit—1 (vial w. supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Cycle Patterns Associated With Treatment Response in Bipolar Disorders
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder