Generic Name and Formulations:
Interferon beta-1b 0.3mg/vial; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; contains albumin (human), mannitol.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for EXTAVIA:
To reduce frequency of clinical exacerbations in relapsing multiple sclerosis.
Pre-medicate with analgesics and/or antipyretics on treatment days to ameliorate flu-like symptoms. ≥18yrs: initially 0.0625mg SC every other day; increase by 25% every 2 weeks to target dose of 0.25mg SC every other day.
<18yrs: not established.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of hepatic injury; consider discontinuing if elevated transaminase levels or jaundice occurs. Depression. Suicidal ideation. Pre-existing CHF: monitor for worsening cardiac function at initiation and during treatment. Myelosuppression. Discontinue if thrombotic microangiopathy or signs/symptoms of drug-induced lupus erythematosus occurs. Monitor CBCs, differential, platelets, chemistries, liver function (at 1, 3, and 6 months then periodically). Pregnancy (Cat.C; may be abortifacient). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Risk of hepatic injury with concomitant hepatotoxic drugs or other products (eg, alcohol).
Inj site reactions, lymphopenia, flu-like symptoms, myalgia, leukopenia, neutropenia, increased liver enzymes, headache, hypertonia, pain, rash, insomnia, abdominal pain, asthenia; inj site necrosis (suspend therapy if multiple lesions occur); rare: hepatic injury, anaphylaxis, possibly seizures.
Single-use vials—15 (w. prefilled diluent syringe, supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders