EXCEDRIN EXTRA STRENGTH OTC
Generic Name and Formulations:
Acetaminophen 250mg, aspirin 250mg, caffeine 65mg; caplets.
Novartis Consumer Health
Indications for EXCEDRIN EXTRA STRENGTH:
Minor aches and pains.
Take with full glass of water. 2 caplets every 6 hours as needed; max 8 caplets/day.
NSAID allergy. Varicella, vaccinia in children and teenagers. 3rd trimester of pregnancy.
Reye's syndrome. Persistent or unresponsive headache. Hypertension. Cardiovascular disease. Asthma. Peptic ulcer. GI bleeding disorders. Liver cirrhosis. Hepatic or renal impairment. Discontinue if signs/symptoms of GI bleed, tinnitus, loss of hearing, or new symptoms occur. Reevaluate if pain worsens or persists for >10 days or if fever worsens or persists for >3 days. Elderly (≥60yrs). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
May potentiate anticoagulants, hypoglycemics, methotrexate. May antagonize uricosurics. Increased risk of liver toxicity and/or GI bleed with ≥3 alcoholic drinks/day or concomitant other drugs containing acetaminophen, NSAIDs. Caution with diuretics, corticosteroids.
Analgesic + salicylate.
Gastric upset, prolonged bleeding time, urticaria, anaphylaxis; overdosage: salicylism, hepatoxicity.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder