Generic Name and Formulations:
Naloxone HCl 0.4mg/0.4mL, 2mg/0.4mL; soln in a prefilled auto-injector for IM or SC inj; latex-free.
Indications for EVZIO:
Emergency treatment of known or suspected opioid overdose, as manifested by respiratory and/or CNS depression.
Adults and Children:
<1yr: Pinch thigh muscle while administering; monitor inj site for residual needle parts and/or infection. ≥1yr: Inject IM or SC into the anterolateral aspect of the thigh (through clothing, if necessary) according to label instructions. All: may give additional doses every 2–3 mins until desired response or emergency medical assistance available. Repeated doses depending on amount, type, and route of administration of the opioid being antagonized may be required.
Not a substitute for emergency medical care. Monitor patients with satisfactory response due to long duration of some narcotics. Have other resuscitative measures available. Known or suspected opioid dependence; abrupt reversal may precipitate acute withdrawal syndrome. Post-op use in pre-existing cardiac disorders; monitor. Neonates. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Caution with cardiotoxic drugs. Incomplete reversal of mixed agonists/antagonists (eg, buprenorphine, pentazocine); may require higher naloxone dose.
Dizziness, inj site erythema; precipitation of severe opioid withdrawal.
Prefilled auto-injectors—2 (w. Trainer)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders