Generic Name and Formulations:
Naloxone HCl 0.4mg/0.4mL, 2mg/0.4mL; soln in a prefilled auto-injector for IM or SC inj; latex-free.
Indications for EVZIO:
Emergency treatment of known or suspected opioid overdose, as manifested by respiratory and/or CNS depression.
Adults and Children:
<1yr: Pinch thigh muscle while administering; monitor inj site for residual needle parts and/or infection. ≥1yr: Inject IM or SC into the anterolateral aspect of the thigh (through clothing, if necessary) according to label instructions. All: may give additional doses every 2–3 mins until desired response or emergency medical assistance available. Repeated doses depending on amount, type, and route of administration of the opioid being antagonized may be required.
Not a substitute for emergency medical care. Monitor patients with satisfactory response due to long duration of some narcotics. Have other resuscitative measures available. Known or suspected opioid dependence; abrupt reversal may precipitate acute withdrawal syndrome. Post-op use in pre-existing cardiac disorders; monitor. Neonates. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Caution with cardiotoxic drugs. Incomplete reversal of mixed agonists/antagonists (eg, buprenorphine, pentazocine); may require higher naloxone dose.
Dizziness, inj site erythema; precipitation of severe opioid withdrawal.
Prefilled auto-injectors—2 (w. Trainer)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children