Generic Name and Formulations:
Melphalan HCl 50mg/vial; lyophilized pwd; for IV infusion after reconstitution.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for EVOMELA:
High-dose conditioning treatment prior to hematopoietic progenitor (stem) cell transplantation in patients with multiple myeloma. Palliative treatment of multiple myeloma when oral therapy is not appropriate.
Give prophylactic antiemetics. Conditioning treatment: Give by IV infusion over 30 minutes. 100mg/m2 daily for 2 consecutive days (Days -3 and -2) prior to transplantation (Day 0). If patient weighs >130% of their ideal body weight, use adjusted ideal body weight. Palliative treatment: Give by IV infusion over 15–20 minutes. 16mg/m2 as a single infusion at 2-week intervals for 4 doses, then at 4-week intervals after recovery from toxicity. Renal impairment (BUN ≥30mg/dL): consider up to 50% dose reduction for palliative treatment.
Prior irradiation or chemotherapy. Severe bone marrow suppression. Monitor CBCs during treatment; provide supportive care for infections, anemia, thrombocytopenia until adequate recovery. GI toxicity; provide supportive care. Monitor LFTs. Renal impairment. Embryo-fetal toxicity; use effective contraception during and after treatment. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with cyclosporine, BCNU, nalidixic acid.
Decreased neutrophil, WBC, lymphocyte, and platelet counts, diarrhea, nausea, fatigue, hypokalemia, anemia, vomiting; hypersensitivity reactions, hepatic disorders, secondary malignancies, infertility.
Single-dose vial (20mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children